Turning the frown upside down at Expo
The 2017 Subsea Expo felt quieter than the previous years - a clear sign of the market's continued struggles. And yet, some discussions left the delegates feeling "quietly positive"... MDL CEO Derek Smith reviews this year's show.
If you could put a sound on tough economic times, it might as well be the quiet of an exhibition hall…
This was our sixth year running at Subsea Expo, so we have seen the event through bullish and bear times for the oil industry.
Although branded “Europe’s largest subsea exhibition”, this year’s show certainly felt smaller than any of those previous years. Not only did it feel like there were fewer visitors to the stand - heck, even the suppliers didn’t bother me as much! - but the gaps between the stands were bigger than required for the amount of traffic that flowed through them.
There were none of the “heavy-weights” present - our traditional clients, whom we’ve grown to associate with this show. And, sadly, many familiar faces popping by didn’t carry a company name on their badge any more…
I can also honestly say that most of our neighbouring stands were glad when 2 o’clock stroke on Friday - that’s when we finally switched the TV off, and that way put an end to our vivid showreel, featuring an equally jumpy soundtrack.
We came to Expo fired up with some positive news, eager to share them with the crowds: new additions to the rental fleet; new appointments to our global team; new overseas jobs won; and new markets into which we were looking to introduce our forward-thinking technology.
Although I’ve painted a gloomy picture of this year’s show, we never actually lost our positivity - in fact, it was probably reinforced in the course of that week.
Despite all the cut-backs and redundancies, we have felt the appetite for innovation and collaboration is still very much alive in this industry; and the markets that we once thought were outside of our reach are now reaching out to us for ideas on how to make their operations more efficient.
Even the discussions we had on our stand with our competitors gave us an insight into the direction in which the industry is heading - and confirmed my belief we’re on the right path, and taking the right steps.
To inject even more positivity into the event (apart from pumping up the volume on the TV), we added a fundraising element to our presence at the show - and ran a collection for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
It followed a networking event we had organised on the first night of the Expo - and I think we were all surprised by the plentiful turnout on that cold and wet Wednesday evening, in the middle of a recession.
The event involved people from different branches of the oil and gas machine: EPIC contractors, suppliers, accountants, bankers - even real estate. Apart from exchanging their own views and ideas, they also heard from the guest speaker - Press & Journal’s departing Energy editor Jeremy Cresswell, whose own background in fishing made him that much more understanding of what MDL is bringing to the subsea table.
As he recounted the story of the two previous downturns, a pattern emerged… and once he recapped the recent major news on global developments I think everyone in the room believed there are better times on the horizon - but it might be a lengthy process yet, and we need to work hard now to get there.
Maybe that quiet optimism encouraged our guests to reach into their pockets to support the Lifeboat. Thanks to theirs, and our other Expo visitors’ contributions, we raised a total of £1500 - on behalf of the Lifeboat thank you all for taking part.
And, to finish off on a high note, I do believe that a bit of positivity and goodwill can really help us get through this tough period. I’m certainly keen to see next year’s Expo bursting with people eager to do business again.
Derek Smith, CEO
- Out with SWL - in with MOLLDecember 2018
- Let's start at the Front EndNovember 2018
- MDL debuts in first mid-stream California projectOctober 2018
- Mexico: bridging the gap to faster recoverySeptember 2018
- MDL delivers first LiveWire spreadAugust 2018
- MDL returns to Norway with TechnipFMCJune 2018
- Double Bibby win for MDLJune 2018
- Halving the headache with a simple approachMay 2018
- MDL awarded California pipelay jobMay 2018
- MDL wins Mediterranean umbilical installationMay 2018
- Three lessons about changeApril 2018
- Delmar and MDL join forces to launch LiveWireApril 2018
- Leading the way in subsea innovationMarch 2018
- Disposing of hidden costsMarch 2018
- RDS completes first GoM mission for Subsea 7February 2018
- Hitting the 150Te markJanuary 2018
- Maritime Developments Year in Review: 2017January 2018
- MDL sets up equipment base in GoM with DelmarDecember 2017
- MDL maximises focus in the AmericasDecember 2017
- A helping hand across the SeaNovember 2017
- Instinct, MaturedOctober 2017
- Oceaneering adds MDL 800Te RDS to global fleetOctober 2017
- Safe as MDLAugust 2017
- Calculated MovesMay 2017
- 24/7 AmbassadorsApril 2017
- MDL Spread concludes Trinidad jobApril 2017
- Turning the frown upside down at ExpoFebruary 2017
- MDL converts Expo leads to RNLI cashFebruary 2017
- Contract award brings MDL tensioner to APACJanuary 2017
- Maritime Developments Year in Review: 2016January 2017
- Winding up the new-buildsDecember 2016
- 800 Tonnes of InnovationDecember 2016
- MDL goes east with new appointmentNovember 2016
- A different cup of teaOctober 2016
- Early project makes a comeback with USA deliveryOctober 2016
- New system redefines global tensioner marketSeptember 2016
- MDL Spread hits anniversary milestoneSeptember 2016
- Latest rental RDS completes first missionJuly 2016
- Asking the right questionsJune 2016
- MDL launches innovative well intervention systemMay 2016
- Portable spread creates new opportunitiesMarch 2016
- An ex-Captain’s perspectiveFebruary 2016
- MDL opens door in AmericaFebruary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: Inspiring smart conversationsFebruary 2016
- That's one New Year's resolution worth sticking toJanuary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: MDL powers up flex-lay costs reductionJanuary 2016
- Maritime Developments Year in Review: 2015December 2015
- Mission accomplished for MDL PVLSNovember 2015
- Maritime Rentals fleet continues to growOctober 2015
- Maritime Developments' first PVLS sets sailSeptember 2015
- Selling value: The toughest challenge with supply chainSeptember 2015
- Let their hair down: Investment that pays backJuly 2015
- Maritime Developments raises £1,400 for Marie Curie Cancer CareJuly 2015
- Cutting costs: Why we’re all in it togetherJune 2015
- Looking hot this summerJune 2015
- Innovation: Speaking the same languageMay 2015
- Final winch order ready for early pickupMay 2015
- Latest reel drive system steals the spotlightApril 2015
- The Budget: A step in the right directionMarch 2015
- Maritime Developments seals 15th anniversary with first VLS orderFebruary 2015
- Smart thinking at Subsea Expo: It all figuresFebruary 2015
- Bespoke tensioner boosts Maritime Developments’ rental fleetJanuary 2015
- Maritime Developments targets well intervention market with joint ventureJanuary 2015
- Third winch package tips electrical delivery over £12millionJanuary 2015
- Maritime Developments Year in Review: 2014January 2015
- MDL celebrates 15th Christmas with magical fundraiserDecember 2014
- MDL extends competitive edge with electrical pushNovember 2014
- Key appointment boosts Maritime
Developments’ electrical divisionNovember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15 years in businessOctober 2014
- Maritime Developments marks RDS success with Aker deliverySeptember 2014
- Major winch delivery ahead of scheduleSeptember 2014
- £1,000 raised for RNLI at Maritime Developments’ eventSeptember 2014
- Patent protection secured for Maritime Developments’ tensionerSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15th anniversary with workshop hog roastSeptember 2014
- Subsea Expo winners’ pit stop at British Grand PrixSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments at Subsea Expo 2014April 2014
- Lochnagar fundraiser for Paul Lawrie FoundationApril 2014
- West African contract success as further growth targetedApril 2014
- Largest contract to date for MDLApril 2014
- Maritime Developments launches equipment hire serviceMarch 2014
- Bright future for subsea specialistMarch 2014
- ‘Next Generation’ Tensioner designMarch 2013
- Increased capacity at Aberdeen and PeterheadMarch 2013
- Paul Lawrie swings by MDL stand at Subsea 2013February 2013
- Maritime Developments appoints Operations DirectorSeptember 2012
- Maritime Developments appoints Commercial DirectorJune 2012
- Maritime Developments continued expansionMay 2012
- Fast-track US contract delivered on timeApril 2012
- £1.7m contract from international subsea businessApril 2012
- Maritime Developments exhibits at Subsea 2012 in AberdeenFebruary 2012