Working at MDL
Our One Team Approach
It's in our instinct to be ingenious.
The MDL brand is centred on a unique personality that shapes us in the development of our team and guides us on how we select who should be part of it.
We live Ingenious Instinct by always being open minded to ideas, whatever they are and whomever they come from. We encourage creativity and problem solving, we challenge our team, our processes and our offering to customers, and we celebrate our successes.
We employ skilled talent across a wide range of departments, including: design and engineering, fabrication, mechanical, electric, software development, offshore equipment operation, project management, business development, HR, marketing, procurement, finance and HSEQ.
MDL is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. Employees and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender or sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
We are looking for a Tendering Engineer, to help us tackle more global challenges and add further value to our clients, by packaging the most optimal solutions from across the MDL offering.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Delivery of costing models for tenders
- Generation of MDL Proposals to satisfy the client tender requirements
- Ensuring any supporting engineering document packages are compiled in accordance with client tender requirements
- Co-ordinating engineering delivery to meet multiple tender requirements
- Creation and management of MDL standard Proposal Templates
- Attending internal sales meetings, stakeholders meetings and one-to-one meetings as required to complement tendering activities
- Any other tasks pertinent to the successful performance of the tendering department that the Senior Management may deem necessary.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Previous experience in Tendering roles
- Good understanding of the Offshore Oil & Gas Industry, specifically subsea
- Excellent IT skills (specifically MS Office, databases and ERPs)
- SharePoint and Salesforce experience would be good but not essential
- Ability to work on own initiative and be self-motivated
- Willingness to learn and adapt
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and attention to detail
- Proactive, flexible and decisive
- Is able to innovate and challenge
To apply, head to the job posting on Indeed here.
MDL has a long track record of developing skilled employees through apprenticeships.
Our apprenticeship programmes allow individuals to learn on-the-job with the support of our experienced workforce, all while gaining a nationally-recognised qualification at the same time.
MDL apprenticeships prepare staff for various career paths – whether in an office, in the yard or working offshore.
In addition to apprenticeships, from time to time we offer other work experience opportunities, including internships and (industrial) placements. Our skilled team can support a variety of disciplines and help you gain invaluable experience and skills.
The Apprentice that became the go-to machinist.
Evaldas joined MDL in June 2018 as an Apprentice Mechanical Technician, having at that point completed his first year in college, undertaking a Modern Apprenticeship in Mechanical Manufacturing.
One of Evaldas’ early notable projects was to be part of a four-man team who travelled to Norway to carry out maintenance works on a pipelay system. This trip - comprising of 18 days of varied work scopes - gave Evaldas his first chance to see what working away from home was like, as well as some great hands-on experience of executing a project on a tight schedule at a customer’s facility.
More recently he undertook his first offshore trip: working with a seasoned MDL Offshore Supervisor and Electrical Technician, replacing a range of hoist winches on a North Sea platform.
In that time Evaldas has made his mark on MDL, becoming the go-to machinist (notably making around 75% of all the location pins on a new tensioner).
He was also one of only three students selected to represent his college at the Scottish IMECHE Engineering competition in Fife.
Finally, in August 2021 he passed his last-year qualifications to become a fully qualified Mechanical Technician - and achieved top marks in all modules he was enrolled in.
His Team Lead Jim Guthrie commented:
“I’ve been really pleased with Evaldas, think he has done really well - always been in the top 3 in his classes and performs well at MDL also.”