Let their hair down: Investment that pays back
We're all human: commercial director Mike Gaskin talks about leadership and team-building in a difficult market
I’ve been in the oil and gas industry for a while now and seen different means of team building. In fact, some of the ways of managing staff were actually team-destructing.
It’s not uncommon in this sector to have high expectations of workforce without showing them gratitude. After all, they’re paid better money than their counterparts outwith the industry. To some leaders the workforce is little more than pairs of hands to do a job - first to dispose of when money gets tight.
It’s not a straightforward task, to build a great team. It takes hard work, leadership and the ability for all to pull in the same direction, even when things get tough. But on top of that you need to create an environment that will make your people proud to be part of the team – and eager for more.
One of the ways of achieving this is careful selection process of new employees; it’s vital to hire people who will complement the existing workforce and be a good fit for the wider company culture.
At Maritime Developments we’re fortunate that many of our employees have been with us now for a number of years, while some have been with us since we first started back in 1999. Those guys know the company better than anyone – they carry its ethos and plant the seed for newcomers on our core values.
In my previous employment, I watched the growth of MDL as a bystander, occasionally working on projects with the original team. The company has grown hugely over that period, particularly in the past few years, but it never lost sight of what made it successful in the first place: its people.
With that in mind, we recently held a successful charity fundraiser at our company’s Peterhead premises as a thank you to our staff for their efforts over the past few months.
While the event was also an occasion to raise valuable funds for Marie Curie Cancer Care, our main focus was on giving something back to our employees for their hard work and dedication.
This hard work allowed us to deliver Maritime Developments’ first complete pipelaying spread, including the first portable vertical lay system (PVLS).
This latest innovation has led to extremely positive feedback from major clients around the world for its ability to maximise operators’ return on investment and reduce mission time offshore. And it wouldn’t have been possible but for the skills and expertise of our relatively small but talented team in both Aberdeen and Peterhead.
Indeed, whenever the company travels overseas or visits clients’ premises all we hear is positive feedback on the high quality of work and customer service delivered by our various project teams to exceed clients’ expectations.
Events, such as our MDL Carnival held earlier this month, allow us to say a modest “thank you” to our team for adding this priceless value to our equipment and services.
So, even when times are a bit tough, we can see the returns from affording staff the occasional afternoon off to concentrate on team building activities.
After all, we’re all human.
Mike Gaskin, commercial director
- Out with SWL - in with MOLLDecember 2018
- Let's start at the Front EndNovember 2018
- MDL debuts in first mid-stream California projectOctober 2018
- Mexico: bridging the gap to faster recoverySeptember 2018
- MDL delivers first LiveWire spreadAugust 2018
- MDL returns to Norway with TechnipFMCJune 2018
- Double Bibby win for MDLJune 2018
- Halving the headache with a simple approachMay 2018
- MDL awarded California pipelay jobMay 2018
- MDL wins Mediterranean umbilical installationMay 2018
- Three lessons about changeApril 2018
- Delmar and MDL join forces to launch LiveWireApril 2018
- Leading the way in subsea innovationMarch 2018
- Disposing of hidden costsMarch 2018
- RDS completes first GoM mission for Subsea 7February 2018
- Hitting the 150Te markJanuary 2018
- Maritime Developments Year in Review: 2017January 2018
- MDL sets up equipment base in GoM with DelmarDecember 2017
- MDL maximises focus in the AmericasDecember 2017
- A helping hand across the SeaNovember 2017
- Instinct, MaturedOctober 2017
- Oceaneering adds MDL 800Te RDS to global fleetOctober 2017
- Safe as MDLAugust 2017
- Calculated MovesMay 2017
- 24/7 AmbassadorsApril 2017
- MDL Spread concludes Trinidad jobApril 2017
- Turning the frown upside down at ExpoFebruary 2017
- MDL converts Expo leads to RNLI cashFebruary 2017
- Contract award brings MDL tensioner to APACJanuary 2017
- Maritime Developments Year in Review: 2016January 2017
- Winding up the new-buildsDecember 2016
- 800 Tonnes of InnovationDecember 2016
- MDL goes east with new appointmentNovember 2016
- A different cup of teaOctober 2016
- Early project makes a comeback with USA deliveryOctober 2016
- New system redefines global tensioner marketSeptember 2016
- MDL Spread hits anniversary milestoneSeptember 2016
- Latest rental RDS completes first missionJuly 2016
- Asking the right questionsJune 2016
- MDL launches innovative well intervention systemMay 2016
- Portable spread creates new opportunitiesMarch 2016
- An ex-Captain’s perspectiveFebruary 2016
- MDL opens door in AmericaFebruary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: Inspiring smart conversationsFebruary 2016
- That's one New Year's resolution worth sticking toJanuary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: MDL powers up flex-lay costs reductionJanuary 2016
- Maritime Developments Year in Review: 2015December 2015
- Mission accomplished for MDL PVLSNovember 2015
- Maritime Rentals fleet continues to growOctober 2015
- Maritime Developments' first PVLS sets sailSeptember 2015
- Selling value: The toughest challenge with supply chainSeptember 2015
- Let their hair down: Investment that pays backJuly 2015
- Maritime Developments raises £1,400 for Marie Curie Cancer CareJuly 2015
- Cutting costs: Why we’re all in it togetherJune 2015
- Looking hot this summerJune 2015
- Innovation: Speaking the same languageMay 2015
- Final winch order ready for early pickupMay 2015
- Latest reel drive system steals the spotlightApril 2015
- The Budget: A step in the right directionMarch 2015
- Maritime Developments seals 15th anniversary with first VLS orderFebruary 2015
- Smart thinking at Subsea Expo: It all figuresFebruary 2015
- Bespoke tensioner boosts Maritime Developments’ rental fleetJanuary 2015
- Maritime Developments targets well intervention market with joint ventureJanuary 2015
- Third winch package tips electrical delivery over £12millionJanuary 2015
- Maritime Developments Year in Review: 2014January 2015
- MDL celebrates 15th Christmas with magical fundraiserDecember 2014
- MDL extends competitive edge with electrical pushNovember 2014
- Key appointment boosts Maritime
Developments’ electrical divisionNovember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15 years in businessOctober 2014
- Maritime Developments marks RDS success with Aker deliverySeptember 2014
- Major winch delivery ahead of scheduleSeptember 2014
- £1,000 raised for RNLI at Maritime Developments’ eventSeptember 2014
- Patent protection secured for Maritime Developments’ tensionerSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15th anniversary with workshop hog roastSeptember 2014
- Subsea Expo winners’ pit stop at British Grand PrixSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments at Subsea Expo 2014April 2014
- Lochnagar fundraiser for Paul Lawrie FoundationApril 2014
- West African contract success as further growth targetedApril 2014
- Largest contract to date for MDLApril 2014
- Maritime Developments launches equipment hire serviceMarch 2014
- Bright future for subsea specialistMarch 2014
- ‘Next Generation’ Tensioner designMarch 2013
- Increased capacity at Aberdeen and PeterheadMarch 2013
- Paul Lawrie swings by MDL stand at Subsea 2013February 2013
- Maritime Developments appoints Operations DirectorSeptember 2012
- Maritime Developments appoints Commercial DirectorJune 2012
- Maritime Developments continued expansionMay 2012
- Fast-track US contract delivered on timeApril 2012
- £1.7m contract from international subsea businessApril 2012
- Maritime Developments exhibits at Subsea 2012 in AberdeenFebruary 2012