Working at MDL
Our One Team Approach
It's in our instinct to be ingenious.
The MDL brand is centred on a unique personality, that shapes us in the development of our team, and guides us on how we select who should be part of it.
We live Ingenious Instinct by always being open minded to ideas, whatever they are and whomever they come from. We encourage creativity and problem solving, we challenge our team, our processes and our offering to customers, and we celebrate our successes.
We employ skilled talent across a wide range of departments, including: design and engineering, fabrication, mechanical, electric, software development, offshore equipment operation, project management, business development, HR, marketing, procurement, finance and HSEQ.
MDL is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. Employees and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender or sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
Tendering & Contracts Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Tendering & Contracts Engineer to further strengthen our customer-focused team.
The purpose of the role is to manage and deliver both complex and simple bids for Capital Build, AME and Rental proposals through the MDL bid process, working closely with the global Sales, Marketing & BD team and other stakeholders to ensure professional, compliant and compelling proposals.
The role will also involve reviewing and
management of client contracts to best serve and protect MDL’s interests.
Key tasks include:
- Creating high quality proposals, including bid submissions, pre-qualification questionnaires, presentations and supporting pre-bid activity.
- Planning, coordinating, editing and writing bid content, to meet client requirements.
- Working with internal and external shareholders to continuously improve bid documentation, in line with internal branding guidelines.
- Facilitating kick-off meetings on successful awards with the relevant project teams.
- Working closely with bid contributors to develop and implement work-winning strategies and promote the MDL technical and competitive advantage to clients.
- Reviewing, negotiation and management of Client contracts to best serve and protect MDL’s interests.
- Undertaking bid/ no bid discussions, bid categorisation and evaluation for future learnings.
- Developing bid plans and using them as a key bid management tool.
- Generation of detailed costing models to support proposals and demonstrate commercial position.
- Conducting technical and commercial reviews of client order against MDL proposal.
- Managing clients’ online bid requests as required, ensuring that all content is kept current and the bids are compliant.
- Creating, publishing and managing reference programmes to use within tenders/ bids and for the wide use of the new business sales teams.
- Early identification of business opportunities and corporate risks through bid process.
- Challenging and identifying areas for improvement to meet customer expectations and minimise business risks and costs.
Experience, qualifications & skills
- HNC in technical or commercial discipline.
- Previous experience in bid management within an Oil and Gas or Engineering Services company.
- Previous experience in reviewing contracts within an Oil and Gas or Engineering Service company.
- Excellent written English.
- Good organisation and project management skills.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to multitask
- The ability to work both within a team and independently.
- Must have strong financial and commercial awareness.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Preferred knowledge of Salesforce software & Microsoft Project.
- Preferred APMP accreditation.
- Preferred understanding of Oil and Gas flexible and umbilical cable installation business and industry technical developments.
To apply, forward your CV and covering letter to the email below.
Email us about this Job >
MDL has a long track record of developing skilled employees through apprenticeships.
Our apprenticeship programmes allow individuals to learn on-the-job with the support of our experienced workforce, all while gaining a nationally-recognised qualification at the same time.
MDL apprenticeships prepare staff for various career paths – whether in an office, in the yard or working offshore.
In addition to apprenticeships, from time to time we offer other work experience opportunities, including internships and (industrial) placements. Our skilled team can support a variety of disciplines and help you gain invaluable experience and skills.
Once MDL’s first apprentice, today Liam heads up the department where his career begun.
Liam Cordiner started with MDL in 2012 as the first electrical apprentice; in that first year there was only him and his manager in the workshop.
Through his apprenticeship Liam was directly involved in some of the most impressive MDL projects - such as the company’s largest electrical delivery at that time: a package of 40 winches and 4 tensioners for a clients’ four Brazilian vessels.
After being the only student in his college class to pass all six theory exams on his first attempt, and one of the few to pass the 6.5hr practical exam on his second go, Liam became a fully qualified electrical technician.
But rather than moving on, he remained with the MDL electrical team - at that point already quadrupled in size - as a full-time employee. Since then, the projects’ sizes and complexities had only continued to grow, and so did Liam’s experience and responsibilities - culminating in him taking the role of Electrical Team Lead in early 2020.