Working at MDL
Our One Team Approach
It's in our instinct to be ingenious.
The MDL brand is centred on a unique personality, that shapes us in the development of our team, and guides us on how we select who should be part of it.
We live Ingenious Instinct by always being open minded to ideas, whatever they are and whomever they come from. We encourage creativity and problem solving, we challenge our team, our processes and our offering to customers, and we celebrate our successes.
We employ skilled talent across a wide range of departments, including: design and engineering, fabrication, mechanical, electric, software development, offshore equipment operation, project management, business development, HR, marketing, procurement, finance and HSEQ.
MDL is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. Employees and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender or sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
Tendering & Contracts Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Proposals & Contracts Engineer to further strengthen our customer-focused team.
The purpose of the role is to manage and deliver both complex and simple bids for CAPEX, Marine and Rental proposals through the entire bid process, working closely with the global Sales, Marketing & BD team and other stakeholders to ensure professional, compliant and compelling proposals.
Work can be primarily based either in Aberdeen or Peterhead with occasional travel to other MDL locations.
Key tasks include:
- Creating high quality proposals, including bid submissions, pre-qualification questionnaires, presentations and supporting pre-bid activity.
- Planning, coordinating, editing and writing bid content, to meet client requirements.
- Working with internal and external support to continuously improve bid documentation, in line with internal branding guidelines.
- Facilitating kick-off meetings on successful awards with the relevant project teams.
- Working closely with bid contributors to develop and implement work-winning strategies and promote the MDL technical and competitive advantage to clients.
- Undertaking bid/ no bid discussions, bid categorisation and evaluation for future learnings.
- Developing bid plans and using them as a key bid management tool.
- Managing clients’ online bid requests as required, ensuring that all content is kept current and the bids are compliant.
- Creating, publishing and managing reference programmes to use within tenders/ bids and for the wide use of the new business sales teams.
Experience, qualifications & skills
- Minimum two years of experience in a proposals/ contracts role
- Excellent written English
- Good organisation and project management skills
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to multitask
- The ability to work both within a team and independently
- Previous experience with hydraulic/ electrical equipment in a CAPEX, manufacturing or rental role (preferred)
- Creative and innovative through production of bespoke documentation
- Positive, determined and ambitiou
- Effective and confident communicator and influencer, at all levels of business
- Customer-focused approach
- Demonstrable commercial acumen and creativity
To apply, forward your CV and covering letter to the email below.
Email us about this Job >
MDL has a long track record of developing skilled employees through apprenticeships.
Our apprenticeship programmes allow individuals to learn on-the-job with the support of our experienced workforce, all while gaining a nationally-recognised qualification at the same time.
MDL apprenticeships prepare staff for various career paths – whether in an office, in the yard or working offshore.
In addition to apprenticeships, from time to time we offer other work experience opportunities, including internships and (industrial) placements. Our skilled team can support a variety of disciplines and help you gain invaluable experience and skills.
Evaldas joined MDL in June 2018 as an Apprentice Mechanical Technician, having completed his first year in college.
He is undertaking a Modern Apprenticeship in Mechanical Manufacturing - and by now he has become a valuable member of the MDLteam.
Earlier in 2019, Evaldas was one of two students invited by his college (NESCol) to take part in the Scottish IMechE Engineering Craft Competition, which took place in Fife.
Recently, he was part of a four-man team, who travelled to Norway to carry out maintenance works on a pipelay system. This trip of a very varied workscope took 18 days in total, and gave Evaldas his first chance to see what working away from home was like, as well as some great hands-on experience of working on a tight schedule at a customer’s facility.
Evaldas’ line manager Jim commended him for his ability to adapt to support the electrical works and to work as part of a team, as well as on his own, to achieve the daily project tasks.