That's one New Year's resolution worth sticking to
As the New Year loses its novelty factor, it's tempting to abandon ambitious plans for the months ahead... But 2016 can be better than you think, if you follow this one advice.
It’s a new year, and a fresh start. A new pipeline awaits to be filled with new opportunities, the team is revving to go, the heads are buzzing with new ideas.
The problem is, no one knows what’s out there to get excited about.
When the clock stroke midnight on December 31, I, for one, wished for the sake of the global economy that the oil prices go up, and things get back to normal.
Sadly, the year that we just entered is the one we’ve all been dreading. 2016 is forecasted to be a gloom continuation of 2015, lasting more than just the 12 calendar months; and generating profits from offshore projects seems like nothing more than an oilman’s dream.
And yet, there’s something about the early days of a new year that gives us that extra boost to try harder, and do better. So, what can we do to minimise the negative impact of the depressed market, or even reap returns from our offshore operations today?
Here’s my suggestion: be smarter.
At MDL we encourage our clients to stop and think for a while about what kind of work they need to - and want to - be able to carry out. This can mean a variety of projects, in different waters, in different basins - but it doesn’t have to mean a complete new suite of pipelay equipment to replace or replenish their existing fleet. Sometimes, it only takes one new smart bit of kit that can do a wide array of jobs.
Our PVLS (that’s portable vertical lay system) is a prime example of just that. It can move easily from one vessel to the next, and therefore move between fields and regions, wherever it is required - all without adding to the mobilisation time, more so - reducing it!
This flexible solution also packs a number of features that all contribute to reducing vessel days on every single campaign it undertakes, repeatedly over its 20-plus-year lifespan.
Of course, these savings are relative to the eyes (and pocket) of the beholder; this particular system was designed closely with the client who could put together a rough plan of what types of projects they were looking to tackle in the months and years to come. With this understanding - which is little more than good understanding of your own business plan - they were able to communicate to us the challenges they would be undertaking. We did the rest.
Although tempting, I am not going to finish that thought with “it’s that simple” - nothing is in a difficult market like we have today. Good New Year’s resolutions are not simple either… but a little support and determination go a long way. I certainly believe that if we put our heads down, together, we can get through this tough period.
So… will you take on the challenge of becoming smarter in 2016?
Mike Gaskin, commercial director
- MDL concludes 4-job campaign with TechnipFMCJanuary 2019
- Out with SWL - in with MOLLDecember 2018
- Let's start at the Front EndNovember 2018
- MDL debuts in first mid-stream California projectOctober 2018
- Mexico: bridging the gap to faster recoverySeptember 2018
- MDL delivers first LiveWire spreadAugust 2018
- MDL returns to Norway with TechnipFMCJune 2018
- Double Bibby win for MDLJune 2018
- Halving the headache with a simple approachMay 2018
- MDL awarded California pipelay jobMay 2018
- MDL wins Mediterranean umbilical installationMay 2018
- Three lessons about changeApril 2018
- Delmar and MDL join forces to launch LiveWireApril 2018
- Leading the way in subsea innovationMarch 2018
- Disposing of hidden costsMarch 2018
- RDS completes first GoM mission for Subsea 7February 2018
- Hitting the 150Te markJanuary 2018
- MDL sets up equipment base in GoM with DelmarDecember 2017
- MDL maximises focus in the AmericasDecember 2017
- A helping hand across the SeaNovember 2017
- Instinct, MaturedOctober 2017
- Oceaneering adds MDL 800Te RDS to global fleetOctober 2017
- Safe as MDLAugust 2017
- Calculated MovesMay 2017
- 24/7 AmbassadorsApril 2017
- MDL Spread concludes Trinidad jobApril 2017
- Turning the frown upside down at ExpoFebruary 2017
- MDL converts Expo leads to RNLI cashFebruary 2017
- Contract award brings MDL tensioner to APACJanuary 2017
- Winding up the new-buildsDecember 2016
- 800 Tonnes of InnovationDecember 2016
- MDL goes east with new appointmentNovember 2016
- A different cup of teaOctober 2016
- Early project makes a comeback with USA deliveryOctober 2016
- New system redefines global tensioner marketSeptember 2016
- MDL Spread hits anniversary milestoneSeptember 2016
- Latest rental RDS completes first missionJuly 2016
- Asking the right questionsJune 2016
- MDL launches innovative well intervention systemMay 2016
- Portable spread creates new opportunitiesMarch 2016
- An ex-Captain’s perspectiveFebruary 2016
- MDL opens door in AmericaFebruary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: Inspiring smart conversationsFebruary 2016
- That's one New Year's resolution worth sticking toJanuary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: MDL powers up flex-lay costs reductionJanuary 2016
- Mission accomplished for MDL PVLSNovember 2015
- Maritime Rentals fleet continues to growOctober 2015
- Maritime Developments' first PVLS sets sailSeptember 2015
- Selling value: The toughest challenge with supply chainSeptember 2015
- Let their hair down: Investment that pays backJuly 2015
- Maritime Developments raises £1,400 for Marie Curie Cancer CareJuly 2015
- Cutting costs: Why we’re all in it togetherJune 2015
- Looking hot this summerJune 2015
- Innovation: Speaking the same languageMay 2015
- Final winch order ready for early pickupMay 2015
- Latest reel drive system steals the spotlightApril 2015
- The Budget: A step in the right directionMarch 2015
- Maritime Developments seals 15th anniversary with first VLS orderFebruary 2015
- Smart thinking at Subsea Expo: It all figuresFebruary 2015
- Bespoke tensioner boosts Maritime Developments’ rental fleetJanuary 2015
- Maritime Developments targets well intervention market with joint ventureJanuary 2015
- Third winch package tips electrical delivery over £12millionJanuary 2015
- MDL celebrates 15th Christmas with magical fundraiserDecember 2014
- MDL extends competitive edge with electrical pushNovember 2014
- Key appointment boosts Maritime
Developments’ electrical divisionNovember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15 years in businessOctober 2014
- Maritime Developments marks RDS success with Aker deliverySeptember 2014
- Major winch delivery ahead of scheduleSeptember 2014
- £1,000 raised for RNLI at Maritime Developments’ eventSeptember 2014
- Patent protection secured for Maritime Developments’ tensionerSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15th anniversary with workshop hog roastSeptember 2014
- Subsea Expo winners’ pit stop at British Grand PrixSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments at Subsea Expo 2014April 2014
- Lochnagar fundraiser for Paul Lawrie FoundationApril 2014
- West African contract success as further growth targetedApril 2014
- Largest contract to date for MDLApril 2014
- Maritime Developments launches equipment hire serviceMarch 2014
- Bright future for subsea specialistMarch 2014
- ‘Next Generation’ Tensioner designMarch 2013
- Increased capacity at Aberdeen and PeterheadMarch 2013
- Paul Lawrie swings by MDL stand at Subsea 2013February 2013
- Maritime Developments appoints Operations DirectorSeptember 2012
- Maritime Developments appoints Commercial DirectorJune 2012
- Maritime Developments continued expansionMay 2012
- Fast-track US contract delivered on timeApril 2012
- £1.7m contract from international subsea businessApril 2012
- Maritime Developments exhibits at Subsea 2012 in AberdeenFebruary 2012