MDL launches innovative well intervention system
Maritime Developments has delivered a new flexible pipe deployment and retrieval system for Magma Global, which is set to significantly reduce the costs and risks of light well intervention for the offshore oil industry.
The m-IDP (Integrated Deployment Package) was unveiled at the company’s assembly and testing facility in Peterhead, at a client Open Day co-hosted with Magma.
Well intervention project managers and engineers from across the UK were able to take a close look at the system at the event, before attending a technical session explaining the combined application of the m-IDP system with Magma’s m-pipe®, designed for high flow rate, high pressure hydraulic pumping from the back deck of smaller vessels.
The m-IDP is a compact, highly developed and multi-function system designed specifically for installation, retrieval and storage of 3-inch 15ksi m-pipe® - the lightweight pipe manufactured by Magma Global.
Thanks to the flexible m-IDP design, m-pipe® can be installed over the moon pool or side or over the stern of the vessel as required.
The complete package is due to travel to the Gulf of Mexico, with the first deployment expected by the end of 2016.
Derek Smith, CEO of MDL said:
“We are pleased to present this latest custom-built addition to our portfolio, which, combined with Magma’s m-pipe, opens up a whole new proposition for offshore light well intervention.
“In delivering this system, we combined our knowledge of the harsh marine environment and challenges faced on the vessel’s back deck, with our ethos of delivering the most compact, safe and user-friendly equipment to offshore operators globally.
“This integrated system, coupled with the unique capabilities of the m-pipe, is set to become an invaluable solution for operators with multiple well intervention projects, regardless of their geographical location.”
Steve Hatton, Technical Director at Magma Global said:
“This high performance offshore m-IDP system has evolved steadily from the original concept that we started discussing with MDL over a year ago. After a lot of detailed meetings, what we have now is a truly integrated package.
“We wanted a system to allow us to deploy our m-pipe to any current or future subsea well depth up to 10,000 feet, and enable maximum pressure and high flow rate pumping.
“We knew operators were seeking an integrated pumping system they could rely on and, thanks to the combination of the m-IDP system, m-pipe’s durability and its ability to withstand high pressures, high temperatures and highly corrosive intervention fluids, the whole system can be reused on multiple intervention projects for many years with confidence.
“As the whole system can pump intervention fluids rapidly, and at high pressures, detailed calculations show this combination offers potential savings of 30% in comparison to traditional offshore light well intervention operations like coiled tube systems.
“Driven by our client’s demand for competitive systems, this means it has to be light, compact and take up minimum deck space, and I think our combined efforts have achieved that within the m-IDP design, which will be launched into the market on a highly competitive day-rate rental basis.
“We will continue to work with MDL to support our activities offshore - there’s no doubt MDL are going to be the best people to assist us with the maintenance and operation of the m-IDP, and we see this as a very positive partnership going forwards.”
Find out more about the system by clicking here.
- MDL concludes 4-job campaign with TechnipFMCJanuary 2019
- Out with SWL - in with MOLLDecember 2018
- Let's start at the Front EndNovember 2018
- MDL debuts in first mid-stream California projectOctober 2018
- Mexico: bridging the gap to faster recoverySeptember 2018
- MDL delivers first LiveWire spreadAugust 2018
- MDL returns to Norway with TechnipFMCJune 2018
- Double Bibby win for MDLJune 2018
- Halving the headache with a simple approachMay 2018
- MDL awarded California pipelay jobMay 2018
- MDL wins Mediterranean umbilical installationMay 2018
- Three lessons about changeApril 2018
- Delmar and MDL join forces to launch LiveWireApril 2018
- Leading the way in subsea innovationMarch 2018
- Disposing of hidden costsMarch 2018
- RDS completes first GoM mission for Subsea 7February 2018
- Hitting the 150Te markJanuary 2018
- MDL sets up equipment base in GoM with DelmarDecember 2017
- MDL maximises focus in the AmericasDecember 2017
- A helping hand across the SeaNovember 2017
- Instinct, MaturedOctober 2017
- Oceaneering adds MDL 800Te RDS to global fleetOctober 2017
- Safe as MDLAugust 2017
- Calculated MovesMay 2017
- 24/7 AmbassadorsApril 2017
- MDL Spread concludes Trinidad jobApril 2017
- Turning the frown upside down at ExpoFebruary 2017
- MDL converts Expo leads to RNLI cashFebruary 2017
- Contract award brings MDL tensioner to APACJanuary 2017
- Winding up the new-buildsDecember 2016
- 800 Tonnes of InnovationDecember 2016
- MDL goes east with new appointmentNovember 2016
- A different cup of teaOctober 2016
- Early project makes a comeback with USA deliveryOctober 2016
- New system redefines global tensioner marketSeptember 2016
- MDL Spread hits anniversary milestoneSeptember 2016
- Latest rental RDS completes first missionJuly 2016
- Asking the right questionsJune 2016
- MDL launches innovative well intervention systemMay 2016
- Portable spread creates new opportunitiesMarch 2016
- An ex-Captain’s perspectiveFebruary 2016
- MDL opens door in AmericaFebruary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: Inspiring smart conversationsFebruary 2016
- That's one New Year's resolution worth sticking toJanuary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: MDL powers up flex-lay costs reductionJanuary 2016
- Mission accomplished for MDL PVLSNovember 2015
- Maritime Rentals fleet continues to growOctober 2015
- Maritime Developments' first PVLS sets sailSeptember 2015
- Selling value: The toughest challenge with supply chainSeptember 2015
- Let their hair down: Investment that pays backJuly 2015
- Maritime Developments raises £1,400 for Marie Curie Cancer CareJuly 2015
- Cutting costs: Why we’re all in it togetherJune 2015
- Looking hot this summerJune 2015
- Innovation: Speaking the same languageMay 2015
- Final winch order ready for early pickupMay 2015
- Latest reel drive system steals the spotlightApril 2015
- The Budget: A step in the right directionMarch 2015
- Maritime Developments seals 15th anniversary with first VLS orderFebruary 2015
- Smart thinking at Subsea Expo: It all figuresFebruary 2015
- Bespoke tensioner boosts Maritime Developments’ rental fleetJanuary 2015
- Maritime Developments targets well intervention market with joint ventureJanuary 2015
- Third winch package tips electrical delivery over £12millionJanuary 2015
- MDL celebrates 15th Christmas with magical fundraiserDecember 2014
- MDL extends competitive edge with electrical pushNovember 2014
- Key appointment boosts Maritime
Developments’ electrical divisionNovember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15 years in businessOctober 2014
- Maritime Developments marks RDS success with Aker deliverySeptember 2014
- Major winch delivery ahead of scheduleSeptember 2014
- £1,000 raised for RNLI at Maritime Developments’ eventSeptember 2014
- Patent protection secured for Maritime Developments’ tensionerSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15th anniversary with workshop hog roastSeptember 2014
- Subsea Expo winners’ pit stop at British Grand PrixSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments at Subsea Expo 2014April 2014
- Lochnagar fundraiser for Paul Lawrie FoundationApril 2014
- West African contract success as further growth targetedApril 2014
- Largest contract to date for MDLApril 2014
- Maritime Developments launches equipment hire serviceMarch 2014
- Bright future for subsea specialistMarch 2014
- ‘Next Generation’ Tensioner designMarch 2013
- Increased capacity at Aberdeen and PeterheadMarch 2013
- Paul Lawrie swings by MDL stand at Subsea 2013February 2013
- Maritime Developments appoints Operations DirectorSeptember 2012
- Maritime Developments appoints Commercial DirectorJune 2012
- Maritime Developments continued expansionMay 2012
- Fast-track US contract delivered on timeApril 2012
- £1.7m contract from international subsea businessApril 2012
- Maritime Developments exhibits at Subsea 2012 in AberdeenFebruary 2012