MDL extends competitive edge with electrical push
When Kevin Cordiner joined Maritime Developments in 2012, the company’s electrical workforce equalled one.
Today, the department boasts a crew of eight and is on the lookout for two more staff to join the team.
Although the figure stands the company out from its competitors, its focus on electrical development is maybe unsurprising, keeping in line with the company’s motto “forward thinking back-deck systems”.
Unlike the vast majority of back-deck offering currently on the market, all of Maritime Developments’ equipment can be supplied in direct electric drive specification as well as traditional hydraulic drive, together with appropriate power units, and operated by the company’s bespoke, user-friendly software.
But how did the north-east back-deck solutions supplier get to this stage in such a short period of time? Kevin Cordiner, Maritime Developments’ electrical manager, explains:
“Originally there were meant to be up to five people in the division.
“We firstly took on an apprentice, but soon realised we needed much more guys, much quicker than originally anticipated. We began to recruit, which was not easy.
“Now, two years on, I have two apprentices, three journeymen and one supervisor, as well as an electrical systems engineer. That is a massive development which i didn’t see happening quite so quickly.
“Before my time here, the company would use third parties for the complete electrical supply, but this has inherent disadvantages of the schedule being out with our control and the cost being higher than if done in house. More importantly, we weren’t developing the systems needed to keep our equipment ahead of the competition.
“Since I arrived, the company has invested hugely in this unit. It started with a purpose built workshop which we had quickly outgrown. A big investment was the testbed about 18 months ago, which has never been empty and is the one thing that has had the tightest schedule, booked up for the whole year.
“That’s where the company’s equipment is going - electrical machinery is more operator-friendly which allows to drive costs down for both sides.”
One of Maritime Developments’ core products is its range of electric winches, available in 5-tonne to 75-tonne specifications. The popularity of the range stems from the amount of control provided by the electric drive, allowing for precise settings of speed and tension on every layer, from the start of the wire to the end of it.
“Companies are delighted with the design and the practicality of our product,” Kevin says.
“We test against hydraulic winches and ours are much easier to control. What we’re putting out to the market is the best in class available.
The company’s expertise in back-deck equipment originated in the fishing industry, where Maritime Developments entered the market in 1999. Since then, the company’s biggest challenge has been to maintain its momentum of delivering innovative solutions to local and global clients alike.
“When I started at MDL, there were 27 people in the company. We have doubled the workforce in this time and with that in mind, I am looking forward to the next few years, to start regularly seeing our equipment on construction vessels across the globe.”
- MDL concludes 4-job campaign with TechnipFMCJanuary 2019
- Out with SWL - in with MOLLDecember 2018
- Let's start at the Front EndNovember 2018
- MDL debuts in first mid-stream California projectOctober 2018
- Mexico: bridging the gap to faster recoverySeptember 2018
- MDL delivers first LiveWire spreadAugust 2018
- MDL returns to Norway with TechnipFMCJune 2018
- Double Bibby win for MDLJune 2018
- Halving the headache with a simple approachMay 2018
- MDL awarded California pipelay jobMay 2018
- MDL wins Mediterranean umbilical installationMay 2018
- Three lessons about changeApril 2018
- Delmar and MDL join forces to launch LiveWireApril 2018
- Leading the way in subsea innovationMarch 2018
- Disposing of hidden costsMarch 2018
- RDS completes first GoM mission for Subsea 7February 2018
- Hitting the 150Te markJanuary 2018
- MDL sets up equipment base in GoM with DelmarDecember 2017
- MDL maximises focus in the AmericasDecember 2017
- A helping hand across the SeaNovember 2017
- Instinct, MaturedOctober 2017
- Oceaneering adds MDL 800Te RDS to global fleetOctober 2017
- Safe as MDLAugust 2017
- Calculated MovesMay 2017
- 24/7 AmbassadorsApril 2017
- MDL Spread concludes Trinidad jobApril 2017
- Turning the frown upside down at ExpoFebruary 2017
- MDL converts Expo leads to RNLI cashFebruary 2017
- Contract award brings MDL tensioner to APACJanuary 2017
- Winding up the new-buildsDecember 2016
- 800 Tonnes of InnovationDecember 2016
- MDL goes east with new appointmentNovember 2016
- A different cup of teaOctober 2016
- Early project makes a comeback with USA deliveryOctober 2016
- New system redefines global tensioner marketSeptember 2016
- MDL Spread hits anniversary milestoneSeptember 2016
- Latest rental RDS completes first missionJuly 2016
- Asking the right questionsJune 2016
- MDL launches innovative well intervention systemMay 2016
- Portable spread creates new opportunitiesMarch 2016
- An ex-Captain’s perspectiveFebruary 2016
- MDL opens door in AmericaFebruary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: Inspiring smart conversationsFebruary 2016
- That's one New Year's resolution worth sticking toJanuary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: MDL powers up flex-lay costs reductionJanuary 2016
- Mission accomplished for MDL PVLSNovember 2015
- Maritime Rentals fleet continues to growOctober 2015
- Maritime Developments' first PVLS sets sailSeptember 2015
- Selling value: The toughest challenge with supply chainSeptember 2015
- Let their hair down: Investment that pays backJuly 2015
- Maritime Developments raises £1,400 for Marie Curie Cancer CareJuly 2015
- Cutting costs: Why we’re all in it togetherJune 2015
- Looking hot this summerJune 2015
- Innovation: Speaking the same languageMay 2015
- Final winch order ready for early pickupMay 2015
- Latest reel drive system steals the spotlightApril 2015
- The Budget: A step in the right directionMarch 2015
- Maritime Developments seals 15th anniversary with first VLS orderFebruary 2015
- Smart thinking at Subsea Expo: It all figuresFebruary 2015
- Bespoke tensioner boosts Maritime Developments’ rental fleetJanuary 2015
- Maritime Developments targets well intervention market with joint ventureJanuary 2015
- Third winch package tips electrical delivery over £12millionJanuary 2015
- MDL celebrates 15th Christmas with magical fundraiserDecember 2014
- MDL extends competitive edge with electrical pushNovember 2014
- Key appointment boosts Maritime
Developments’ electrical divisionNovember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15 years in businessOctober 2014
- Maritime Developments marks RDS success with Aker deliverySeptember 2014
- Major winch delivery ahead of scheduleSeptember 2014
- £1,000 raised for RNLI at Maritime Developments’ eventSeptember 2014
- Patent protection secured for Maritime Developments’ tensionerSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15th anniversary with workshop hog roastSeptember 2014
- Subsea Expo winners’ pit stop at British Grand PrixSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments at Subsea Expo 2014April 2014
- Lochnagar fundraiser for Paul Lawrie FoundationApril 2014
- West African contract success as further growth targetedApril 2014
- Largest contract to date for MDLApril 2014
- Maritime Developments launches equipment hire serviceMarch 2014
- Bright future for subsea specialistMarch 2014
- ‘Next Generation’ Tensioner designMarch 2013
- Increased capacity at Aberdeen and PeterheadMarch 2013
- Paul Lawrie swings by MDL stand at Subsea 2013February 2013
- Maritime Developments appoints Operations DirectorSeptember 2012
- Maritime Developments appoints Commercial DirectorJune 2012
- Maritime Developments continued expansionMay 2012
- Fast-track US contract delivered on timeApril 2012
- £1.7m contract from international subsea businessApril 2012
- Maritime Developments exhibits at Subsea 2012 in AberdeenFebruary 2012