Innovation: Speaking the same language
If it’s not broken, why fix it?
I’ve been saying this phrase a lot in the last few months and whoever I speak to knows exactly what I’m talking about.
The oil and gas market is now broken, and finally the industry is prepared to take on change. The buzzword today is “cost reduction”, which is the main driver for looking outside the box. And that’s where innovation steps in.
It is a funny word, innovation: everyone talks about it, many companies put it in their taglines and mission statements, and yet very few seem to understand what it actually means - to be innovative.
For us, it is certainly not a new concept. Maritime Developments thrives in innovation. We have some huge guys playing in our field of back-deck pipe laying equipment, and the only way we can compete is to deliver solutions that are smarter, more efficient and more cost-effective.
We started by taking out the best of the technology we saw in the fishing industry and put it on the back-deck of an oil vessel; it wasn’t as easy as that, it took a lot of convincing to get a globally recognised offshore service company to buy into our design - but once they gave us a vote of confidence, they never turned back.
Roll the clock forward to where we are today and this summer we will be delivering our first complete pipe laying spread in a major North Sea development. There’s nothing but innovative stuff there: our new, third generation multi reel drive system; our patented 4-track tensioner, on which two tracks open when in vertical orientation; and, of course, our portable vertical lay system, which is road transportable and can be assembled on the quayside and off critical path.
This latest solution will save significant vessel days in one single campaign for the client; and since they are undertaking a multi-campaign project, the savings are massive. It’s that simple.
Or is it? The final product is quite different from the original concept, as the design has been fine-tuned jointly with the client. In a series of workshops we worked together to understand the requirements of the project and to figure out the most cost-effective solution. We stripped the tower of unnecessary features and added toys that would increase to the maximum the efficiency of the footprint taken up by the solution.
We worked like this until both sides were happy with the final design. This was a new concept for us, sitting down with a client to bring a new system to life, but one that is in line with our innovative spirit.
In late April we travelled to Texas for the Offshore Technology Conference in Houston. We arrived early, to attend a number of meetings with our current and potential clients and to talk to them about the PVLS and the rest of our offering. We knew we had a great story to tell but we were not expecting such warm welcome and positive response.
It was nearly a two-week trip, and that still didn’t seem long enough. Following the pre-arranged meetings, we were invited to a number of follow-ups, so that we could share our presentation with the key decision makers.
We answered questions and observed as those lightbulb moments took place: it was obvious the clients could see the benefits from using our equipment and wanted to get their boards to buy-in. Afterwards, they spoke to us about their determination to make things happen:
“If you have a system like this, you don’t need the colossal vessels that cost a fortune to charter or maintain; you can use it on a smaller vessel to do one job, and move it on a different vessel to do another,” we’ve heard from one of the project managers.
“Also, the fact that it’s road transportable and portable means we can use it for our operations anywhere in the globe. It’s a no-brainer!”
Another PM said: “If you’ve got a good market and you’re comfortable, you don’t challenge yourself.
“No one has thought of being a little bit daring, and take a different approach to offshore operations, to improve the way we work and reduce costs. I want to show them it can be done differently - that it can be done better.”
What these guys have in common is that they want to make a mark for themselves, by finding a better solution to the problem of growing operations costs. To do that, they embraced innovation and they want to work closely with us to make it happen in their departments.
That’s how we found a common language with the Texans - even if sometimes they struggled with my Doric.
Derek Smith, CEO
- One Team MDL during COVID-19March 2020
- MDL Marine Services carry out FPSO worksJanuary 2020
- A few thoughts for 2020December 2019
- MDL completes EG work with Ocean InstallerDecember 2019
- Marine Services concludes Spirit flexible transpoolingNovember 2019
- Celebrating 20 years of MDLOctober 2019
- Hat-trick in NCS with TechnipFMCOctober 2019
- West of Shetland return with i-Tech 7August 2019
- Fourth African project on way with EG awardJuly 2019
- Double award brings new HLS to fleetJuly 2019
- MDL wins follow-up scope in West AfricaJuly 2019
- Unlocking West Africa's potentialJune 2019
- Project of firsts concluded in MexicoJune 2019
- Accelerating Rever Offshore’s North Sea campaignJune 2019
- It all adds up for single-sourcingMay 2019
- MDL delivers West Africa SURF installation with DeepOceanApril 2019
- Sealing green credentials with ISO 14001April 2019
- Mexico: A story of FirstsMarch 2019
- MDL PVLS celebrated at SPE awardsMarch 2019
- MDL wins West Africa SURF projectFebruary 2019
- At Your ServiceFebruary 2019
- Proving 150Te portability in NigeriaJanuary 2019
- 4-job campaign with TechnipFMC concludedJanuary 2019
- Out with SWL - in with MOLLDecember 2018
- Let's start at the Front EndNovember 2018
- First mid-stream California debutOctober 2018
- Mexico: bridging the gap to faster recoverySeptember 2018
- MDL delivers first LiveWire spreadAugust 2018
- MDL returns to Norway with TechnipFMCJune 2018
- Double Bibby win for MDLJune 2018
- Halving the headache with a simple approachMay 2018
- MDL awarded California pipelay jobMay 2018
- MDL wins Mediterranean umbilical installationMay 2018
- Three lessons about changeApril 2018
- Delmar and MDL join forces to launch LiveWireApril 2018
- Leading the way in subsea innovationMarch 2018
- Disposing of hidden costsMarch 2018
- RDS completes first GoM mission for Subsea 7February 2018
- Hitting the 150Te markJanuary 2018
- MDL sets up equipment base in GoM with DelmarDecember 2017
- MDL maximises focus in the AmericasDecember 2017
- A helping hand across the SeaNovember 2017
- Instinct, MaturedOctober 2017
- Oceaneering adds MDL 800Te RDS to global fleetOctober 2017
- Safe as MDLAugust 2017
- Calculated MovesMay 2017
- 24/7 AmbassadorsApril 2017
- MDL Spread concludes Trinidad jobApril 2017
- Turning the frown upside down at ExpoFebruary 2017
- MDL converts Expo leads to RNLI cashFebruary 2017
- Contract award brings MDL tensioner to APACJanuary 2017
- Winding up the new-buildsDecember 2016
- 800 Tonnes of InnovationDecember 2016
- MDL goes east with new appointmentNovember 2016
- A different cup of teaOctober 2016
- Early project makes a comeback with USA deliveryOctober 2016
- New system redefines global tensioner marketSeptember 2016
- MDL Spread hits anniversary milestoneSeptember 2016
- Latest rental RDS completes first missionJuly 2016
- Asking the right questionsJune 2016
- MDL launches innovative well intervention systemMay 2016
- Portable spread creates new opportunitiesMarch 2016
- An ex-Captain’s perspectiveFebruary 2016
- MDL opens door in AmericaFebruary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: Inspiring smart conversationsFebruary 2016
- That's one New Year's resolution worth sticking toJanuary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: MDL powers up flex-lay costs reductionJanuary 2016
- Mission accomplished for MDL PVLSNovember 2015
- Maritime Rentals fleet continues to growOctober 2015
- Maritime Developments' first PVLS sets sailSeptember 2015
- Selling value: The toughest challenge with supply chainSeptember 2015
- Let their hair down: Investment that pays backJuly 2015
- Maritime Developments raises £1,400 for Marie Curie Cancer CareJuly 2015
- Cutting costs: Why we’re all in it togetherJune 2015
- Looking hot this summerJune 2015
- Innovation: Speaking the same languageMay 2015
- Final winch order ready for early pickupMay 2015
- Latest reel drive system steals the spotlightApril 2015
- The Budget: A step in the right directionMarch 2015
- Maritime Developments seals 15th anniversary with first VLS orderFebruary 2015
- Smart thinking at Subsea Expo: It all figuresFebruary 2015
- Bespoke tensioner boosts Maritime Developments’ rental fleetJanuary 2015
- Maritime Developments targets well intervention market with joint ventureJanuary 2015
- Third winch package tips electrical delivery over £12millionJanuary 2015
- MDL celebrates 15th Christmas with magical fundraiserDecember 2014
- MDL extends competitive edge with electrical pushNovember 2014
- Key appointment boosts Maritime
Developments’ electrical divisionNovember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15 years in businessOctober 2014
- Maritime Developments marks RDS success with Aker deliverySeptember 2014
- Major winch delivery ahead of scheduleSeptember 2014
- £1,000 raised for RNLI at Maritime Developments’ eventSeptember 2014
- Patent protection secured for Maritime Developments’ tensionerSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15th anniversary with workshop hog roastSeptember 2014
- Subsea Expo winners’ pit stop at British Grand PrixSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments at Subsea Expo 2014April 2014
- Lochnagar fundraiser for Paul Lawrie FoundationApril 2014
- West African contract success as further growth targetedApril 2014
- Largest contract to date for MDLApril 2014
- Maritime Developments launches equipment hire serviceMarch 2014
- Bright future for subsea specialistMarch 2014
- ‘Next Generation’ Tensioner designMarch 2013
- Increased capacity at Aberdeen and PeterheadMarch 2013
- Paul Lawrie swings by MDL stand at Subsea 2013February 2013
- Maritime Developments appoints Operations DirectorSeptember 2012
- Maritime Developments appoints Commercial DirectorJune 2012
- Maritime Developments continued expansionMay 2012
- Fast-track US contract delivered on timeApril 2012
- £1.7m contract from international subsea businessApril 2012
- Maritime Developments exhibits at Subsea 2012 in AberdeenFebruary 2012