At Your Service
“The whole is more than the sum of its parts”, the saying goes. That’s so true in a multi-faceted business like ours.
MDL is best known for technologically-advanced equipment that sets it apart from the competition, both for those clients who buy it or rent it from us.
In either case, it is the same team that brings the benefits of MDL innovation to fruition: from assembling it, to operating it, to then maintaining it in top condition.
Participation in all stages of equipment delivery is a prerequisite for an MDL employee to move into the Offshore Service division - and this intimate knowledge of the kit makes the MDL personnel the most seasoned operators in the field.
Gaining that knowledge, as well as our ability to fully customise the equipment to the customer’s or project specification, is possible thanks to the complete capabilities we hone in-house. This is also the firm foundation for MDL Marine Services.
Since its beginnings in 1999, MDL has grown organically: starting from a primarily hydraulic servicing company, catering for the fishing businesses around Scotland, to gradually incorporate manufacture, machining, electrical, software and engineering expertise, as the demographics and the dynamics of our client base increased.
Having all departments under one roof gave the company its edge when it firmly entered the oil and gas business with its rental offering: not only can we build our internal fleet to our own design, but we can also maintain and upgrade it from the comfort of our own testing facility, keeping it always ahead of time.
Now, the beauty is that whatever we can do for ourselves, we can also do for our clients and their own equipment - just like we did back in the fishing days.
In fact, our fishing heritage is a huge contributor to the proficiency of our Marine Services. It’s not just about the work that we can do, but - even more so - about the attitude that we take.
A usual week in the Marine Services department will involve, among others: deploying personnel to conduct maintenance and repair work at client’s facilities; project management of local scopes such cold stacking, reinstatement or transpooling; as well as fast-tracking small-scale manufacturing projects from identifying a client’s need to deploying a solution that makes a difference from day 1.
One recent example was the result of a meeting with a moorings company who expressed concerns over how time consuming reel change outs were on their spooling machine - a routine procedure typical of their business.
We discussed the problem with the client and came up with a simple and effective solution to reduce their time and safety concerns. We developed the sketches of what we spoke about and agreed on. We quoted, got awarded the contract, built and delivered the solution as per agreed specification within a 10-day period before Christmas.
Since the delivery, the client has voiced how many hours the new solution has saved them in the operations, and how much safer those operations have now become.
This quick turnaround was possible thanks to our straightforward, proactive and creative approach to customer support, as well as understanding and appreciating the painful impacts of lost time - something fishing had taught us long ago.
As this example also shows, no job is too small: from minor repairs, to complete refurbs, and from product transpooling to equipment cold-stacking, we can claw back maintenance costs and increase returns from any third-party asset.
Individually, our people, equipment and customer support are all market-leading. Combined, they’re a cost-saving force that can truly make an impact on the bottom line.
Find out more about the complete scope of MDL Marine Services on this page.
George Mackintosh, Operations Director
- West of Shetland return with i-Tech 7August 2019
- Fourth African project on way with EG awardJuly 2019
- Double award brings new HLS to fleetJuly 2019
- MDL wins follow-up scope in West AfricaJuly 2019
- Unlocking West Africa's potentialJune 2019
- Project of firsts concluded in MexicoJune 2019
- Accelerating Rever Offshore’s North Sea campaignJune 2019
- It all adds up for single-sourcingMay 2019
- MDL delivers West Africa SURF installation with DeepOceanApril 2019
- Sealing green credentials with ISO 14001April 2019
- Mexico: A story of FirstsMarch 2019
- MDL PVLS celebrated at SPE awardsMarch 2019
- MDL wins West Africa SURF projectFebruary 2019
- At Your ServiceFebruary 2019
- Proving 150Te portability in NigeriaJanuary 2019
- 4-job campaign with TechnipFMC concludedJanuary 2019
- Out with SWL - in with MOLLDecember 2018
- Let's start at the Front EndNovember 2018
- First mid-stream California debutOctober 2018
- Mexico: bridging the gap to faster recoverySeptember 2018
- MDL delivers first LiveWire spreadAugust 2018
- MDL returns to Norway with TechnipFMCJune 2018
- Double Bibby win for MDLJune 2018
- Halving the headache with a simple approachMay 2018
- MDL awarded California pipelay jobMay 2018
- MDL wins Mediterranean umbilical installationMay 2018
- Three lessons about changeApril 2018
- Delmar and MDL join forces to launch LiveWireApril 2018
- Leading the way in subsea innovationMarch 2018
- Disposing of hidden costsMarch 2018
- RDS completes first GoM mission for Subsea 7February 2018
- Hitting the 150Te markJanuary 2018
- MDL sets up equipment base in GoM with DelmarDecember 2017
- MDL maximises focus in the AmericasDecember 2017
- A helping hand across the SeaNovember 2017
- Instinct, MaturedOctober 2017
- Oceaneering adds MDL 800Te RDS to global fleetOctober 2017
- Safe as MDLAugust 2017
- Calculated MovesMay 2017
- 24/7 AmbassadorsApril 2017
- MDL Spread concludes Trinidad jobApril 2017
- Turning the frown upside down at ExpoFebruary 2017
- MDL converts Expo leads to RNLI cashFebruary 2017
- Contract award brings MDL tensioner to APACJanuary 2017
- Winding up the new-buildsDecember 2016
- 800 Tonnes of InnovationDecember 2016
- MDL goes east with new appointmentNovember 2016
- A different cup of teaOctober 2016
- Early project makes a comeback with USA deliveryOctober 2016
- New system redefines global tensioner marketSeptember 2016
- MDL Spread hits anniversary milestoneSeptember 2016
- Latest rental RDS completes first missionJuly 2016
- Asking the right questionsJune 2016
- MDL launches innovative well intervention systemMay 2016
- Portable spread creates new opportunitiesMarch 2016
- An ex-Captain’s perspectiveFebruary 2016
- MDL opens door in AmericaFebruary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: Inspiring smart conversationsFebruary 2016
- That's one New Year's resolution worth sticking toJanuary 2016
- Subsea Expo 2016: MDL powers up flex-lay costs reductionJanuary 2016
- Mission accomplished for MDL PVLSNovember 2015
- Maritime Rentals fleet continues to growOctober 2015
- Maritime Developments' first PVLS sets sailSeptember 2015
- Selling value: The toughest challenge with supply chainSeptember 2015
- Let their hair down: Investment that pays backJuly 2015
- Maritime Developments raises £1,400 for Marie Curie Cancer CareJuly 2015
- Cutting costs: Why we’re all in it togetherJune 2015
- Looking hot this summerJune 2015
- Innovation: Speaking the same languageMay 2015
- Final winch order ready for early pickupMay 2015
- Latest reel drive system steals the spotlightApril 2015
- The Budget: A step in the right directionMarch 2015
- Maritime Developments seals 15th anniversary with first VLS orderFebruary 2015
- Smart thinking at Subsea Expo: It all figuresFebruary 2015
- Bespoke tensioner boosts Maritime Developments’ rental fleetJanuary 2015
- Maritime Developments targets well intervention market with joint ventureJanuary 2015
- Third winch package tips electrical delivery over £12millionJanuary 2015
- MDL celebrates 15th Christmas with magical fundraiserDecember 2014
- MDL extends competitive edge with electrical pushNovember 2014
- Key appointment boosts Maritime
Developments’ electrical divisionNovember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15 years in businessOctober 2014
- Maritime Developments marks RDS success with Aker deliverySeptember 2014
- Major winch delivery ahead of scheduleSeptember 2014
- £1,000 raised for RNLI at Maritime Developments’ eventSeptember 2014
- Patent protection secured for Maritime Developments’ tensionerSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments celebrates 15th anniversary with workshop hog roastSeptember 2014
- Subsea Expo winners’ pit stop at British Grand PrixSeptember 2014
- Maritime Developments at Subsea Expo 2014April 2014
- Lochnagar fundraiser for Paul Lawrie FoundationApril 2014
- West African contract success as further growth targetedApril 2014
- Largest contract to date for MDLApril 2014
- Maritime Developments launches equipment hire serviceMarch 2014
- Bright future for subsea specialistMarch 2014
- ‘Next Generation’ Tensioner designMarch 2013
- Increased capacity at Aberdeen and PeterheadMarch 2013
- Paul Lawrie swings by MDL stand at Subsea 2013February 2013
- Maritime Developments appoints Operations DirectorSeptember 2012
- Maritime Developments appoints Commercial DirectorJune 2012
- Maritime Developments continued expansionMay 2012
- Fast-track US contract delivered on timeApril 2012
- £1.7m contract from international subsea businessApril 2012
- Maritime Developments exhibits at Subsea 2012 in AberdeenFebruary 2012